Friday, June 10, 2005

Just Clanning Around part 3: The History of Hyperstream

A long time ago on a server far, far away, a clan was formed by friends from a defunct modding team. The friends had a forum called Hyperstream. At the time, JK2 was in its prime, so they decided to form a clan, also called Hyperstream.


The leader of the clan was named Kirk (note: all names changed to protect both the innocent and guilty). But the guy who owned both the forum and their JK2 server was Chuck. Although no one knew it at the time, this was the beginning of the schism that would tear HS apart.

Hyperstream – both the forum and the clan – grew by leaps and bounds. They had a good number of extraordinary duelists. One of these, CGIman, recruited Samurai, who introduced Spinner to both the world of online gaming and to the clan.

Things went well for several months. Altough CGIman was gone frequently, both Samurai and Spinner rose quickly up the ranks of the clan; Samurai because he was an excellent duelist as well as a straight-shooting, no-nonsense kind of guy, and Spinner despite the fact that he sucked at dueling, but was relatively mature and became something of a mediator for the rather impetuous core of the clan.

But then the schism started to widen. This happened because Chuck was 12 or so and was not even close to mature enough to be a leader. On the JK server, where he was supposed to be an Admin and enforce the rules, he was very often the biggest lamer there. He enjoyed Admin stunts like setting up a small room full of trip mines and then teleporting unsuspecting players into it. When confronted, his response was, ‘It’s my server and I can do what I want.’ Kirk had no recourse against Chuck, because pissing Chuck off would mean losing the server and the forums.

Well, things came to a head after a couple months of this behavior when one of Chuck’s admin-padawans (named Meteor) was confronted by Spinner, then an admin in his own right (but not the laming kind). Although Spinner knew Meteor was in the wrong, he stupidly failed to take screenshots of the behavior, and in the ensuing battle of he-said/he-said, Chuck took Meteor’s side and Spinner decided enough was enough.

Sadly, this happened at
3am est, so none of Spinner’s supporters (who could have verified the truth) were online, and the thread was locked by the time anyone else saw it.

So Spinner left, and was soon followed by Samurai. They joined another clan, SinisteR, together, drawn by their friendship with <SR>Devastator. CGIman stayed to try to keep HS afloat, but it was too late; the clan limped on for a few more months and then died an ignoble death. Eventually CGIman saw the light and joined Spinner and Samurai at SinisteR.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey derv! It's Keebs. Remember me from HS? I was just searchin around on google and found ya blog here. Pretty good story telling, although you forget about the big fight between me and... ehh.. "Samurai" that caused all the tension. Unless I'm meteor... but I don't stay up tp 3 AM, so that's not possible. ;)


Anyway, I'll drop by once in awhile.

P.S. The HS forums are still around. ("Chuck" no longer owns them... Max does now.) I've entered it as my webpage in the thingy.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dervish! Trekkie here. You nice account of the HS history there! I doubt my shattered and fragmented mind could pull even a tenth of that out and still have it make sense.

Anyway, drop on by the new HS some time (don't get fooled in to going back to the old one, since it is apparently coming back one of these days). It would be great to catch up with eachother again!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

hey boys, thanks for stopping by. i've looked for the old site, but it just has a promo for bf2 on it, lol. i'll check you guys out when i get home. :D

12:47 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Wow, I can't believe I just found this - 10 years after it was written! Is anyone still reading these comments?

If so, this is TroN - I was an admin on the Hyperstream server back then and know all about this.

I'd love to get back in touch - let me know if this is seen or if there is a forum for the old gang still going!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Tronny! I nearly forgot about this blog. Which I wrote when HS was a distant memory. And it's been ten years from the time I wrote this.

Damn, I'm old...

Anyway. I checked out the "new" HS for a bit, then it kinda fell apart. That was several years ago.

I've run into a few people here and there over the years. Had a talk with Meyhem a couple years ago. I'm FB friends with Ronin. Every now and then someone posts something here: http://exiledacademy.proboards.com/.

Other than that, everyone seems to have kinda faded away. How's stuff?

4:38 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Hey man, sorry I took a long time to reply.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SRTroN is me :)

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home