Thursday, October 22, 2009

Idioms for Idiots

Looking through the archives of my old posts, I'm struck by the old idiom "the more things

change, the more they stay the same".  I'm at the same weight I was when I started the 'eat

healthy' diet back in 2006. I did, in fact, lose lots of weight -- I was down to 187 for awhile

-- but gained it all back in a bout of depression that lasted about a year.  I left my wife,

started and finished re-dating an old high school girlfriend, moved into two different

apartments, started dating the woman of my dreams, got divorced (I know, that seems out of

order.  The lawyer was verrrrrry slow.), and got a kilt.

 

And yet I am the same person I was then.  Slightly overweight, too lazy to do anything about it;

not in school, but making plans to resume; trying to motivate myself to write more often, but

seldom doing so.

 

That last one isn't completely true.  I've actually been writing quite a bit, but it's nothing

that anyone but me would be remotely interested in; I really doubt there is any viable market

for someone's pretend newspaper articles regarding a digital PS2 college football team, no

matter how many times they win the (extra) fake national title.

 

I also started a couple of other blogs.  One of them got waaaay too personal and I deleted it. 

The other was going to be my dreams (the sleeping kind, not my plans), but I never get around to

writing them down.

 

So my life is very different from what it was, and yet it is very much the same as it has always

been.  I guess idioms exist because they're generally true.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home