Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I Had a Dream Last Night...

I stood at the French doors overlooking an overgrown garden.  Unkempt hedges lined cobblestone paths that crossed in the center of the circular garden, creating a neat cross.  Three small bungalows stood on the far side of the garden.

"I think we're being watched," said the man. 

I resisted an urge to turn around.  The woman responded, "I think so, too.  I’ll go look them over."

"That middle one is empty.  It got flooded a few weeks ago. If there really is anyone, they'll probably be there."

I felt a minor panic set in; I knew for a fact that someone was in that building, and they were watching.  I fumbled in my pocket and pulled out my phone.  It was too risky to call, of course, but I needed to do something to warn him.  I flipped the phone open and held it in front of me as they said their goodbyes and he warned her to be careful.  I took pictures of the garden while trying to get the sun to reflect off the surface of the phone.  If he saw the flashes, he might get the hint.  Probably not, but it was the only thing I could think of.

I heard him step closer to me, so I turned with a grin and said, "That’s really a nice gard..."

That was as far as I got before he lunged at me with his knife.  I got only a glimpse and was already dodging, but too late; the knife sliced into my right side.  I jumped at him, knocking him off balance, and the knife fell from his hand and skittered across the floor.  He gripped me with both of his arms and squeezed; this combined with the cut in my side caused my sight to dim and I struggled for breath.  I gathered as much strength as I could and brought my knee up sharply.  It missed his groin but hit his thigh hard enough to make him grunt and loosen his grip.  I chopped a hand into his exposed throat and thrust away from him, then limped as rapidly as I could around the corner and into the first room I came to.  I closed and locked the door, then found I had closed myself in the interior bathroom.  I crouched beside the tub to minimize the chances of being shot, should he decide to attempt such a thing, and pondered my next move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home