Saturday, August 20, 2005

This is Hard

I’m working third shift this weekend, which usually means plenty of time for writing. The only problem is that nothing’s happening. It’s been so long since I worked on my book that I can’t find the voice. I have a few poorly written lines of a scene. I know, in general, what is supposed to happen during the rest of the scene. I should just pound it out and not worry about how it’s written for now; just get the scene down and worry about editing it later.

But I can’t. I hate leaving a sentence before it sounds exactly how I want it to. I sometimes spend an hour or more on a single paragraph if is doesn’t sound quite right. I don’t believe in “rough drafts”. I took Research and Exposition in high school, which was all about writing research papers. We were required to fill out index cards and make outlines and write a rough draft before we could write the actual paper. I wrote the paper first and then went back and cobbled together all the crap they wanted me to waste my time with.

It just seems like such a large amount of effort to go back over something I’ve already written and rewrite it. Why not just write it the way I want it the first time? This is why, back when I was taking part in the online writing workshop, I posted one chapter in the time that most of the other writers had posted three. By the time I finished the now-defunct The Price of Power (75k words), Tammy had written the original version of Ghosts in the Snow (250k) and the original sequel (100+k) and was halfway through with Threads of Malice (120ish k, coming this fall to a bookstore near you!). We started our current projects at approximately the same time. She’s at 75k, a little over a month from completion. I’m at 43k, 30k of which is previously written stuff.

Of course, it’s not really fair to compare myself to Tammy. She’s an author; I’m just a writer, and (as previously noted) a casual one at that. And my lack of productivity has much more to do with the fact that I haven’t tried to write anything in three months than my obsession with writing my sentences just the way I want them.

Still, when I am writing, I seldom manage great numbers of words in a day. But hopefully the time I take is made back when it comes time to edit; if I did my job right the first time, very little editing will need to be done.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to refute your numbers, hon, but the final version of Ghosts clocked in at just over 149k, and Threads at 153k. At 84k in Valley, I JUST passed the official midpoint (I'm expecting this draft to hover around 180-200k if I don't rush the ending), but, by contract, I have to keep it under 165k.

Guess what! This fall we get to trim! Aren't you thrilled? ;)

BUT, as I've groused on my blog lately, I write every day, or damn close to it, whether I want to or not. No EPSN or BF2 for me. That makes a BIG difference.

:kick:

12:04 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

lol. so i made up the numbers based on my questionable memory. :P

can't wait to trim. ;)

6:43 PM  
Blogger Krista Heiser said...

I've fallen prey to the same sense of disconnect you're experiencing, Josh. I think the problem is that we don't write everyday. It's easy to lose focus, enthusiasm, and drive when you don't eat, sleep, and breathe the story.

Good luck and happy writing!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

yep. like exercise, it's so hard to get started, but not so hard once you're doing it.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home