Wednesday, July 13, 2005

What the...

Drove by the new house yesterday. That’s something we’ve been doing periodically ever since we found it; before it was to check it out “one more time”. This time is was to see if the work we had requested had been started yet.

Nothing major. The appliances in the kitchen hadn’t been hooked up yet; the fireplace needs a flue clip; the gate to the backyard needs to be raised (or the ground beneath it lowered) so it will open. Little things like that.

There was no sign of workers, but there was a car parked in the driveway and a mini-van parked on the curb. And a family of three walking around in the yard.

Perhaps there’s another explanation, but it looked for all the world as if our house was still being shown to prospective buyers.

We drove around the block and passed by again. Car still there. Mini-van still there. Family of three nowhere in sight, but the lock-box containing the key to the front door (the code to which the realtor had assured us is never given out unless they’re there to show the house) was open and empty.

Hmm…

We put down a deposit on Friday (it’s a lease-to-own) but they suggested waiting until the repairs we had requested were done and we had a chance for a final walk-through before we signed the lease. Now the wife is panicking, certain that the realtor is showing the house so they can sell it out from under us. We drive back home and she gets on the phone. (Note the subtle shift from past to present tense to heighten the tension of the story. ;) )

“We’d like to sign the lease today or tomorrow.”

“Well, I’m going on vacation for a couple of weeks. Can it wait?”

“No, the school needs proof of address so we can register our kids for classes.”

“Well, I’m not in the office. I’ll go there and look some things over and call you back.”

That might have been okay last week – it’s not anymore. Now the wife doesn’t trust the realtor. She digs up the copy of the lease we had them send over the week before, then we call them and ask if that’s good enough. It is. We sign it and fax it; after waiting a half-hour or so, they fax it back.

At the end of the day, we have the house.

I don’t know what, exactly, was going on with the mini-van family; perhaps some other realtor was showing them the house, unaware that it had been spoken for. Although I would think other realtors would have to check with the company who is selling the house before they just walk right in.

Perhaps we were panicking for no reason. The realtor has been affable and friendly so far – I’d like to think there was just a minor slip-up somewhere. But, perhaps the people we’re leasing/buying the house from are scum. I guess time will tell.

***

In other news, the evil people in my department here at work brought in a breakfast potluck consisting of virtually every single thing that I can't eat while I'm on this diet. I've spent the entire day resisting blueberry muffins and brownies and doughnuts.

They're evil, I say. At least someone brought in fruit (along with evil fruit dip), so I've had a few grapes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jona said...

If you know it's the right house for you and your family, you should never let tiny details get in the way! I lost my dream house and have spent the last four years cursing myself (in fact, I doubt I'll ever get over it *sob*)

You did the right thing!

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home