Thursday, July 07, 2005

Bringing London Home

I looked over my list of ideas for blogging today, but nothing seemed appropriate. How can I write about nonsensical things like writing or movies when London is at war?

The Internet is an amazing thing; I have friends in London. I barely had friends in my various neighborhoods when I was growing up, and now I have people I consider to be reasonably close in places like London and Sydney, Australia. It’s fantastic, most of the time; it’s heart-wrenching now. Meyhem (his gaming name, and no, it’s not misspelled) lives in London. His posts on the forum went from, “The Olympics are going to be only 30 minutes from my house!” to, “I haven’t heard from my mum.”

How’s that for a little perspective?

Five years ago I would have heard or read about today’s incident and thought, “That’s a pity. People are evil.” Then I wouldn’t have thought much more about it. Now it’s personal; now I have something real to fear.

Be careful over there, Meyhem and Merc. I’m praying for you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, hon. I have friends in London too, and in other places around the UK.

Scary times.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home