Sunday, October 16, 2005

Take it One Page at a Time

Well, I was sick on Thursday and Friday so I wasn’t at work, which is where I normally write these posts. I suppose I could have written something from home, but I didn’t feel like it. Fortunately Ohio State survived the lack of a Fearless Prediction this week. I’ll get Carolina’s out of the way now before I forget:

Fearless Prediction of the Week: Carolina 25, Detroit 17

Tammy (“Threads of Malice” coming soon!) sent me an article from some guy who recommends writing one page a day. Every day. It sounds like an easy, doable plan, so I committed myself to trying it.

Tally: five days, 0 pages.

I could blame my illness, but I managed to play a couple of hours of BF2 while I was sick, so that really isn’t an excuse. I just didn’t feel like writing. It’s hard to pick it back up again when you haven’t done it in so long, unless some great idea just comes out of the blue and zings you. Needless to say, I haven’t been zinged (zung?) in a while.

Part of the problem stems from my style of editing-as-I-go, as mentioned in a recent post. The article suggested that a page should take an hour or so; I’ve spent an hour on a single sentence before. I can’t simply write a page for the sake of having a page done and then go back and edit it later, as the article suggests doing.

But that’s not the whole story. I didn’t even make an attempt to write. I have no real excuse. I hereby recommit myself to at least one page a day.

I’ll start right after I finish this next round of BF2.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see I'm gonna have to get on the interstate, drive east for about 10 hours, and kick you in person.

You are a GIFTED writer and you're wasting your time on video games?!?

It's not about having the muse jumping up and down, it's about dedication and belief in your vision. The burning desire to tell the tale. How can you have a burning desire to play BF2 and not one to rip the hell out of Thembi? If you were to write a list of all the important things in your life and rate them, which is more important? A game or your vision? Which matters more? Taven or cyber slaying?

I know that my rocky, work-laden road has been an eye opener and that this publication thing isn't a bed of chocolate and roses. But it's still worthwhile. We never would have met if you weren't a writer and, dammit, you're a BETTER writer than I am. You're supposed to be on the damned bookshelves, not me. You.

That's right. You. And you're not gonna get here at all if you don't settle yourself down and work.

ARRGH!!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

The only writing I do these days is on my blog, so I can hardly tell you off ;o)

But... if I can get my act together (somewhat doubtful!) I'm strongly considering doing the NaNo Writing Month as a kick up the backside.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home