Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Writers' Kryptonite

Krista wrote about writers’ weaknesses. My main weakness is procrastination. I know that’s not the kind of answer she was looking for (and I’m sorry for tangenting your topic), but it’s true; writers write, and I can scarcely call myself one most of the time.

As for weaknesses within my writing, I used to be overly fond of adverbs until Tammy beat them out of me. But I have difficulty recognizing my own failings; I never would have known I used too many adverbs unless someone had pointed it out. I can’t even think of what to put here as my biggest writing weakness, although I’ve sent out an email to Tammy so she can tell me what it is. Perhaps it’s an overuse of commas. I love commas. I think I sometimes use them too much because I try to make my writing sound like speech, with all the little pauses that go along with it. I also love dashes, but I’ve recently discovered the semi-colon, which works much better in places where I used to use dashes.

I think, in the end, my biggest writing weakness is missing a sound foundation in grammar. I know how to put sentences and paragraphs together, and when I read something, I know whether it’s written correctly or not. But I don’t know why. Grammar classes always bored me to tears in school, but now I wish I had paid closer attention. When I read something that is written poorly I can say, “Try writing it this way.” But I couldn’t tell them, grammatically, what it is that is wrong. I’d like to be able to say, “The prepositional phrase should match the subject, you fool.” Or whatever.

I actually have a couple books on it, and I can fix this problem by reading them. Which I will.

Someday.

Anyway, here’s a less important side note:

I don’t really follow pop culture all that much. I don’t read tabloids, I couldn’t care less who is dating, marrying, and/or divorcing who, and I didn’t give a single ounce of attention Michael Jackson trial. But yesterday someone referred to Michael Jackson as a “musical genius”. My response was an incredulous, “Huh?”

I cannot fathom how Jackson is still so popular today. He had one good solo album (“Thriller”) in the early 1980’s which had a handful of catchy songs (although the recent trial certainly cast “PYT” in a new light). Since then, he has released a few un-noteworthy efforts and become more of a freak with each passing year. He doesn’t even look human anymore. He embarrasses himself every time he opens his mouth or hangs a baby out a window. Yet, somehow, he remains one of the most popular icons in the world.

Why? I just don’t get it. Someone please explain it to me.

This just in: Tammy’s response to my biggest weakness:

“lack of decisiveness.

you, and your characters, are all very flexible and easy going.

Be More Definite!”

So there you go.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jona said...

This is me! Well obviously not, but I totally identify with everything you’ve said; I barely written in the last year (although I’ve started a blog in an attempt to reinvigorate myself); I’m crap at description (considering moving over to plays ;o)); never got the gist of grammar (thus would have difficulty in identifying an adverb); can’t decide between commas and semi-colons (but I like them there!); I’ve got plenty of helpful books (I might even read one day); and I can’t do bad baddies!
And I can’t help you understand the Jackson thing either.

Hope you don’t mind me barging in (I always feel like an interloper), I stumbled across your blog and liked it so much I’ve read the lot and missed my daughters’ bedtime!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

thanks. :) i welcome all interlopers.

adverbs end in -ly. that's all you need to know about them. ;)

your kids are very cute. i should post mine someday.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Thank you, Josh. Very handy tip about the adverbs -- I should be able to remember that! And do post a piccie of your kids.

I'll be back, debi

6:00 AM  
Blogger Krista Heiser said...

You can hijack my topics anytime you want. :) I should also admit I'm a terrible procrastinator as well. Making writing a priority is a huge challenge for me.

I love Tammy's answer when you posed the question of your weakness to her. Now that she's told you that, I'm sure you'll write with it in mind and your writing will only improve.

See having a critique partner is a huge help!

As for the odd attachment people have for Michael Jackson...I'm as baffled by it as you are.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

that's actually how tammy and i met - through an online writing workshop, which was followed by a critique group.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep.

My being published is all Josh's fault. I swear. His Fault.

Blame him.

I absolve myself of responsibility...

11:57 AM  
Blogger Krista Heiser said...

I'd like to thank him instead. Ghosts rocked and I can't wait to get my greedy little hands on Threads and Valley. Can't you push up those pub dates, Tam? :)

1:32 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

i don't think that's up to her, lol.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not. Publishers decide these things a year or more in advance.

Sorry!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home