Friday, June 17, 2005

The Loosers Are Comming!

I used to love forum hopping. I became addicted to it early on in my internet career. Now I don’t have as much time for it, but I still miss it. The only downside to forum hopping is the constant barrage of grammar and spelling errors that inevitably get posted.

I don’t mind some of it. It’s one thing to misspell “pterodactyl”, or to confuse “its” and “it’s”. I don’t even mind the occasional “to” when it should be “too”, or “your” versus “you’re”.

But simple spelling is another thing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen “loose” instead of “lose”. “He’s a looser!” “They’re going to loose.” “I don’t want to loose this match!” It sounds like they’re sharing some sort of gastro-intestinal issue.

At least “loose” is a real word. Here is an actual quote: “They are comming! They are here!” Comming? What in the world does that mean? They are communicating over a com link?

I’m not going to lie to you and tell you that my spelling and grammar are always perfect. I do proofread what I write before posting, and if I’m not sure how something is spelled I check with Word before I use it. But the occasional “its/it’s” error sometimes sneaks in, and I’ve even caught myself writing the wrong “your/you’re”, although I think that’s more a symptom of too much forum-hopping than anything else.

Anyway, I guess in the end it’s not so important. I try not to comment on anyone’s grammar or spelling unless their post is just totally unreadable. One thing I have learned is that people don’t appreciate having their grammar or spelling corrected. The loosers.

In other, writing related, news, I had an idea yesterday for a new story (to add to my list of stories that aren’t being written right now). It seems like a good concept, and might actually make a better screenplay than novel. I have no idea how to write a screenplay, or market it, for that matter. Presumably there are agents for screenplays. Guess I’ll have to do some <shudder> research. If anyone happens to know a trustworthy site or two on the subject with some free information, I’d appreciate it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jona said...

Hi Josh,

My husband always has to tell me which lose/loose I mean, it’s a total blind spot for me no-matter how many times I’m told!

Check out this site : http://writers-bbs.com/forums/ for screenplay advice (all the way down near the bottom of the page). It’s a forum, but the folks in there know their stuff and are always happy to share their wisdom. There’s also a critique forum if you want to see the way they set out.

BTW, you can come and correct my grammar and spelling anytime!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Krista Heiser said...

You have no idea how many times I have to edit my posts because of stupid mistakes. What I really hate, though, is not being able to edit! That's the worst.

I assume you've already checked out FM for the screenwriting research? If not...it's another idea.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

deb - lol. well, i didn't mean it personally; i haven't seen it in your writing yet. i'll be sure to point it out when i do. ;)

thanks for the link.

krista - um...no. i didn't realize fm had a screenwriting section. i've been there a few times, but i'm so used to phpbb boards that i really can't stand trying to move around there.

guess i'll have to check it out.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

testing (sorry!!!)

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home