Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Potty Break

The twins are three now. They’re past the “terrible twos”, although I must say that their twos weren’t so bad. A more accurate, if less alliterative title would be the “cute twos”.

Watching them grow has been a fascinating journey, as all of you parents out there already know. Every day we’re surprised by something one or the other somehow knows how to do or say. Every time I think they can’t get any cuter, they do.

Now if only they’d learn to use the bathroom.

That’s right, it’s potty training time. We’ve worked on it with them a little bit in the past, but we’re starting to concentrate on it a bit more now. So far, they’re okay with it; they try off and on, and are even successful sometimes. My wife got them some padded underwear, and they really like them, but now the boys have created the mindset that they don’t have to try to go potty if they’re wearing diapers.

I’ve been dreading this stage; can’t wait for it to be over. I’m hoping they’ll be more or less done by September (just as an arbitrary date). Since I have no experience with this sort of thing, I don’t know if that’s a reasonable time frame or not. Guess I’ll soon find out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jona said...

Potty training is a minefield, and you can expect lots of interesting memories from this charming stage!

To be honest my stress levels couldn’t take a drawn out process, and with my last three I’ve always gone for the all or nothing approach. It’s pretty ghastly for four or five days, but you’ll be glad when they get there!

Oh, one tip… if either of the twins wants to try going through the night without a nappy at this stage too – go for it! Some kids can master day and night at the same time (others can’t!). Though I would also suggest investing in those special sheets that protect the mattress ;o)

Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing about all your fun!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Krista Heiser said...

Hang in there. Each kid is different so don't be surprised if one falls behind the other.

I tried everything, including bribery, but the truth is they'll train when they're ready and not a day before.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

we're trying bribery too. it was a piece of candy just for trying, but that quickly turned into the inevitable "try for 2 seconds to get a piece of candy", lol.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home