Friday, August 26, 2005

Carpe Diem, Baby

Tammy’s blog from a couple of days ago included a quote from Calvin Coolidge. I don’t usually put a lot of emphasis on quotes and sayings, but this one really struck me.

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

“Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.” That’s a great description of me. I have no ambition, no drive to succeed (at least, in a long term sense), no “killer instinct”. I have dreams instead. I say, “Someday it would be nice to be a published author.” Someone with ambition would say, “Someday I will be a published author.” If it never happened, the ambitious person would feel like a failure. On the other hand, if I never become published, I’m okay with that.

For me, it’s about comfort and peace. I’m quite happy to live day by day, doing whatever makes me feel happy at the time I’m doing it. I have no real long term goals, just a general sense of where I want to be. I’m slowly making my way through college -- I like to say, sarcastically, that my goal is to finish my two-year degree by 2008 (I started in 2002) – but, frankly, I feel relieved on the quarters when it’s not possible to go.

I work hard at the things I do; it’s not that I don’t want to succeed at whatever I’m doing at the moment. I don’t slack or cut corners or try to evade responsibility. I have no ambition, but I’m not lazy. There’s a huge difference.

Now I have that quote set as my computer wallpaper to try to remind myself to work beyond the limitations that my wish for comfort sets for me. It sounds nice. But I’m more than likely never going to do anything about it. Having ambition is really hard work; I’d rather just amble through life.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:kick:

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Josh - you're making me repeat myself! I so relate to the things you say ('cept you say them better)!!

7:25 PM  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Sounds like me, I want a college degree, but I don't want to go enroll. I want to solo sail around the world, but don't want to take sailing lessons. I want to start at the top and it doesn't work that way. The hard part is starting. The only difference between a dream and a goal is that with a dream, you take a tiny step in that direction every day. That's the only difference.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

thanks for stopping by, mark. the hardest part for me isn't starting; it's finishing. i'm really good at starting things, but after awhile i lose interest or, more correctly, i gain interest in something completely different.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home